Hull Technician First Class (SEAL/EOD) Stephen L. Morris was born 25 April 1956 to June and Kenneth Morris, in Perth Amboy, New Jersey. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy and graduated from Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes, Illinois in April 1974 and received orders to Naval Mobile Construction Battalion ONE. In November 1975, he transferred to Naval Amphibious School, Coronado, California.

In June 1976, he graduated Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training and served with Underwater Demolition Team TWENTY ONE at Naval Amphibious Base, Little Creek from October 1976 to June 1978. He served in Naval Coastal Systems Center Panama City, Florida until August 1981 when he received orders to NAVSCOLEOD, Indian Head Maryland. In February 1983, he returned to Little Creek, Virginia for duty at a classified component of Naval Special Warfare Group TWO again at Little Creek.

During his naval career, HT1 Morris qualified as a Navy Diver and an Explosive Ordinance Disposal Technician. He has received many awards including: Joint Service Commendation Medal with Combat “V” device, Purple Heart, Navy Achievement Medal, Expert Rifle, and Expert Pistol Medals.

On 23 October 1983 as part of Operation URGENT FURY, HT1 Morris and other special warfare operators from a joint special operations task force were tasked to infiltrate the Caribbean island of Grenada by sea in the vicinity of Salinas Airfield and obtain time sensitive intelligence on the conditions of the airfield runway, the enemy’s strength and positions. HT1 Morris was killed in action while conducting the parachute insertion into the sea. His remains were never recovered.

One response

  1. I noticed there has not been any comments to Steve’s memorial page, which means this post is long overdue. I knew Steve briefly during our time as classmates/students at Indian Head in the early 80’s and after our individual assignments in VA Beach, myself at EODMU 1 and Steve at NSWDG. Steve was the silent type, which I learned he didn’t typically engage in much conversation due some hearing loss suffered during his time with UDT. I learned of Steve’s passing during the Grenada invasion while I was deployed aboard the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) to the Mediterranean in support of the Lebanon Multi-National Peacekeeping Force. Steve’s passing was a shocked all my EOD teammates since we all knew Steve. RIP my fried!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *